Currently reading:

"Marjorie Morningstar" by Herman Wouk







Total Pageviews

Monday, August 29, 2011

Don't be so mean, you mean old meanie

There has been plenty written about the dangers of online bullying and internet anonymity which encourages people to act like total ass hole fools who fulfill their dreams of being more confrontational through their alter ego online. This is a well documented phenomenon, most notably visible on forums such as the comment trail underneath CNN’s articles.

I try so very hard not to read these comments because most of them are left by so called “trolls” who make statements which may or may not be in keeping with their own beliefs and then wait for people to go all ape shit crazy on each other. All while the troll giggles from behind the computer in their mom’s basement, proud as a papa of the madness they created.

Again, I try to avoid reading the comments of bored morons, but what I am bothered with today is the non-anonymous meanness left on sites like Facebook or through Twitter. I wonder if people realize that we can see them? You do know that if you post something in your status, then all 500 or however many friends you have will be able to view it? See how it works is, not just the ones you want to see it will, but like, EVERYONE will see it.
A secret no longer is a secret when it is right there on Facebook for all to see. Today I saw someone belittle a common topic they noticed amongst their friends’ status updates. See, all your friends who posted about that subject can read about the fact that you think their posts are stupid!! Did you not know that? I felt like saying “that was way harsh, Tai.”

Now, this is not to say that I agree with everything everyone states or that I don’t think that some statuses are inane or repetitive. But I do try to think through every status I post so as not to insult or belittle my friends. Yes statuses can get ridiculous or flat out pointless, however when I choose to “friend” someone it means that I will be seeing what THEY want to post, not what I would like for them to post. I do have the choice to block them, unfriend them, or God forbid….Leave Facebook!! AAAHHHHHhhhhhhhhh!

I try very hard on a daily basis not to be mean. My advice is “don’t be a mean girl;” no one likes a mean girl after High School! I didn’t even like them IN High School. Maybe I would have if they were Lindsay Lohan but for the most part they are not likeable members of society/Facebook/twitter.

We all have the option to “like” a status or to leave it. I will continue to post about what I think is interesting and you do the same. If I post about something that you disagree with, think is dumb or just hate more than feet flavored ice cream, then please just make fun of me behind my back unless you plan to tell me straight to my face that you hate my favorite things. I bet you won’t…

By the way, Jo Calderone is the hottest piece of hotness to ever walk the hot earth. Disagree? I don’t care, I will post it anyway!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment