Currently reading:

"Marjorie Morningstar" by Herman Wouk







Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

How To Spot a Writer



I was sitting outside today reading during my lunch break on the concrete picnic set which is the only outside seating option at my job. My desire to be outside and away from my gloomy desk supersedes the discomfort inflicted from ass on rock. Who even ever thought that a concrete seat was a good idea? Next they will be making paper weights made of cotton balls. Anyway…..I started mulling over some odd behaviors that are likely unique to those of us who enjoy writing; and then as a writer of course decided to share those writer qualities with you…in writing. Ahem; here they are in no particular order:

1. Writers could be mid conversation, mid book, mid pretty much anything and leave that task to write down an idea that sprung out of wherever any idea comes from. It could be a bad one; it could be so ingenious that it needs to go under lock and key out of fear of thievery. But either way it must be documented at that very time lest it be forgotten. Cristy finally broke down and bought me a small note book to have on hand because she felt sorry for me and my sad little scraps of paper and envelopes with illegible notes scratched in random patterns.

2. Writers spend time editing and crafting the most appropriate words to convey their feelings. Thus, we might also craft a better conversation than the one we just had with you and come back later with something better.

3. If you catch a writer or someone you suspect is a writer starring off into space then probably there is something highly creative and interesting going on in their head. Best to leave them be.

4. Writers are constantly editing their own work so it becomes natural to then start editing everyone else’s stuff too. The majority of the time I avoid critiquing others because I know that would be completely rude and frowned upon; however occasionally one might slip by so I apologize in advance if it ever happens to you and yours.

5. Writers typically will have ink smudged all over their writing hand from the page. Just kidding, this isn’t the 1800’s and we don’t use ink wells anymore, silly!!!

6. When I spot someone who looks so sleepy they might fall asleep in a meeting (and sometimes they do) I wonder if they were up late with their kids, they drank too much the night before, or maybe, just maybe they are a writer.  Sometimes I will wake in the middle of the night with a thought or an idea and I lay there trying to staple it into my mind, writing and rewriting it onto a virtual post-it note.  I worry and worry that I will forget it after a night of weird dreams so that eventually I get up and write it down.  That process takes a good 1-2 hours out of an otherwise normal night. 

If you enjoy writing and have something to add, feel free to comment and lengthen my list!!

No comments:

Post a Comment