Currently reading:

"Marjorie Morningstar" by Herman Wouk







Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Information overload

Today Facebook is having issues. I wanted to complain publicly about the fact that Facebook was having issues, however I couldn’t, because Facebook (our go-to complaining source) was having issues!! So then I wanted to comment on the irony in that problem however no one would be able to read my comments because I couldn’t post my blog on Facebook! It is like the Twilight Zone!

If I have thoughts and no one on Facebook is able to hear them, then did I truly have the thoughts at all? Did I actually exist before all 440 of my friends were able to track details like where I am in my life down to what I had for Breakfast?

Perhaps I need a break from Facebook so that I can remember what it is like to have to laugh quietly at my own jokes rather than broadcasting them. Maybe I should not text for a whole week so that I can remember the slight panic feeling of waiting to tell someone something rather than sending the thought to their phone the second my brain creates it. I would probably feel the need to make lists of things to tell my Mom, Cristy and Meg for when I did reach them so that they won’t die before they know that I bought new boots.

Technology has changed the way we communicate, some of it good and some of it bad, but I am wondering if I might need a tiny bit of perspective to ensure I don’t forget what it was like before I had access to more information than I could ever need or want...Oh who am I kidding, when I finish posting this I am going to ask Facebook’s advice on my new bed purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment