Currently reading:

"Marjorie Morningstar" by Herman Wouk







Total Pageviews

Monday, May 24, 2010

Leave me alone when I'm reading...

Leave Me Alone While I Read

It seems that some people believe that when they see someone reading a book alone then that person must be sad and waiting for someone to initiate conversation. On the contrary, I actually enjoy reading! That is why I continue to buy these square things with pages in them off of Amazon, not because I confused them with the movie version. Or even when I am sitting alone thinking, pausing in my reading to stare at the grass and mull over recent events in my life, I wonder if people think that I am lonely. Sometimes I wish I could wear a sign on my head that says “Alone but not lonely.” Or maybe I will craft a fake book cover so that when someone wanders over to ask me what I am reading, I can hold it up and say “it’s called Leave Me Alone While I Read.” I know that people try to be friendly at work and perhaps they like to be interrupted while reading their US Weekly so that they can discuss Heidi Montag’s boob job. However I don’t enjoy being plucked out of New York, or Oz, or whatever setting I am enjoying in my book to talk about how it’s hot out. Yep, and it was hot yesterday, and probably some day in the future it will be hot, again. Neither the weather, your frozen lunch entrĂ©e, or the details of your out of work boyfriend’s night out last night, is as interesting as Lisbeth Salander’s life. So, unless you are already my friend, then I wish to continue reading, and the fact that I didn’t lift my eyes from the pages of my book to answer your question about the rain should have indicated that. Too bad it’s only my friends who read my blog but at least I had the opportunity to vent…

No comments:

Post a Comment