Currently reading:

"Marjorie Morningstar" by Herman Wouk







Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Your using the wrong spelling

Your vs. You’re. It’s one of the most common grammar mistakes and, frankly, I just don’t get it!

Just to be clear, the way I have used “your” in the title of this blog is INCORRECT!!

If you intend to say something belongs to someone then you use “your.” For example: Those must be YOUR high heels, I don’t wear them. That annoying ring tone is coming from YOUR cell phone. I loathe YOUR improper use of grammar.

If you could easily substitute “You Are” for the intended “You’re” in the sentence then yes go ahead and use “You’re.” For example: I bet that YOU'RE looking for Grammar mistakes in this blog post. Or: YOU'RE likely to still get this wrong but I am writing about it anyway. See “You’re” is a contraction for “You Are” and they are interchangeable.

They even sound different if you are pronouncing them correctly so I don’t understand all the confusion! Now I am sure I misuse punctuation, I know I over use commas and my grammar is not always perfect; but this really is a simple one. Let’s take it on as an easily correctable society wide problem and fix it!! Stop the madness, YOU’RE driving me insane!!

No comments:

Post a Comment