Currently reading:

"Marjorie Morningstar" by Herman Wouk







Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Angry Wife

So the funniest thing happened on a phone call at work today!

I had called an older lead, a guy named Danny. I called the first number he had supplied and left a message for Danny Jr, based on the voice mail. Then I attempted to reach him on the second number but did not leave a message on that one.

A couple of seconds later I get a return call back from that second number. People cant STAND it when you call and don't leave a message, the curiosity just eats and eats at them until they finally call back. It is great because I can see the number they are calling me from so I know who it is. I answer with "Hello, this is Ann" so that they don't know it is Brown Mackie (otherwise it's an immediate hang up.) They stumble, wonder if they know an "Ann" and then answer with "I must have dialed the wrong number." Now this is the fun part, this is when I say, "oh, is this _______?" They are shocked, SHOCKED that I busted them in their lie. See, see I KNOW that they didnt dial the wrong number, they simply returned my call and they are now trying to get out of talking to me!! Ha! But they all eventually end up hanging up anyway. This happens a good 3 or 4 times a day.

Back to my story. So the lady says "I just missed a call from this number." Already this is different from my normal call backs! I said, yes that I was looking for a Danny Roberts. She said he was not there, and I thanked her and said I would try another time.

Pause, she didnt answer back, and after a few seconds I was almost ready to hang up when she said "Um, excuse me, this is his WIFE!"

Wow. My first thought was "poor him," but instead I replied with "Well, this is Ann from Brown Mackie College and he had requested some information from us so I was calling to see how I could help" using my best fake nice voice.

She contemplated this, realized she had been a giant douche bag, and laughed and told me that I must be looking for Danny Jr, that is her son. Danny Sr is her husband and they are separated.

She thought I was some skank calling her cell phone looking for her husband!! It was all I could do to not laugh as I told her she could have Danny Jr call me if he wanted information on Brown Mackie. She was very nice and thanked me profusely.

The moral of this story is that whenever someone is mean to you, dont get mad, just stay cool! They might just be angry because they assume every female, you included, is banging their husband...

No comments:

Post a Comment