Currently reading:

"Marjorie Morningstar" by Herman Wouk







Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Turning Signal

When did the use of the turning signal become optional? This seemingly obvious safety and courtesy precaution when driving has become a rarity. Be it due to laziness or self centeredness I can not understand why people don’t utilize this simple tool.

Usually even when drivers do signal it is simply way too late to be effective. The turning signal ceases to be useful when it is employed AFTER the car is already turning. The sequence of events should go as follows: Spot the upcoming place you would like to turn, turn on the turning signal (Up for right, Down for left,) begin slowing down, turn. It is NOT appropriate to slam on your brakes, begin to turn and then turn on the signal. That is the incorrect sequence of events and the signal is useless except to let you as the driver listen to the turning signal ticking noise.

I love it when someone flicks you off or honks at you for neglecting to let them over when that particular person did not have their signal on to alert you of their intentions to merge. This has led me to become an overly defensive driver, constantly trying to interpret someone’s glance at their mirror or slight movement toward my lane. Being forced to play the “Are they coming over?” game is maddening!!

It’s too bad that everyone isn’t required to have one of those “Tell me how I am driving” Stickers on their car, complete with their cell phone number. I am confident people would be much more likely to pay attention to what they are doing if that were the case!

Let me send caution to the drivers reading this who have neglected your turning signal and plan on using it from now on: Just because you put on the turning signal, that does not automatically give you the right to turn. If there is a car in the way, or it is someone ELSE’S turn to turn at a stop sign, please kindly let them pass first. The turning signal does not give you the all powerful ability to turn as you please, contrary to popular belief.....

Next Chapter: License plate covers – Why are they necessary or legal?

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you! I hate how people don't use their turn signals and/or how they'll remember to use it while they're turning or merging in front of me. Uh, hello? By the time you're already cutting me off, I know what you're doing! Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete